Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chinese songs

I usually listen to chinese songs, but most of my friends listen to english songs, or even korean and japanese songs. We constantly argue which one is better.
Comparing English songs with Chinese songs, I feel that there are few differences, and yet these differences creates a big difference. To me, the words in chinese songs are usually more meaningful and yet rhyming, or sometimes even poetic. For English songs, I usually don't understand what the whole song is trying to say, especially in fast-rythm songs. To put it in simpler words, to me, english songs is like a beautiful beach, seemingly flawless. But chinese songs, on the other hand, is similar to a wonderful beach, with a vivid image of a setting sun, so romantic...
I feel that Chinese songs have a wider variety of music. In english songs, we usually hear the lyrics accompanied by a drumset and a few electic cuitars, ocassionally keyboards. However, in chinese songs, each and very one seem so unique and different. There are melodious sounds of the piano, sometimes the violin or cello in fast paced songs, and even flute sounds appearing constantly. This, to me, gives chinese songs a lot more style and originality.
My Favourite Singer
Actually, my favourite singer is jay chou. Many say that he can't pronounce words properly, and you totally cannot make out what he is mumbling, but actually all his songs have a very special style and are very meaningful. Anyway, his inability to pronounce properly can be considered "a special singing style" of his, I guess.
There are many of his songs that I really love. One is 珊瑚海(direct translation: coral sea). It is a duet. It is a love song about how 2 people that are in love are just not meant for each other. Try listening to it, you will definitely like it:"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpx1rNjlPI" . The MV (music video) also tells a very nice story.
This blog post has a very good translation of the song: http://bibitan.blogspot.com/2006/03/shan-hu-hai-coral-sea.html

Another song that i like is 千里之外(direct translation: Thousands of miles away). This song has a music of the traditional china style, and yet, it is so beautiful. It is also about love and it is also a duet. If you watch the MV, you will know that the story is about how a guy is in love with a very good singer, but the singer has to leave overseas.
music( with translation): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIhLHMhIGGU

I hope you enjoyed my post. Please feel free to comment, as i believe that many of you would hape very different opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment